This award was established in 1979 by President Emeritus H. Ian Macdonald. The award namesake, Ronald Kent, had a unique personal commitment to the University showcased through years of dedicated service. His sincerity and enthusiasm were infectious, and easily spread across other departments. He was considered a true ambassador for York University. A dedicated member of President's Macdonald's staff, Ronald Kent passed away suddenly on campus in the late 1970's.
The award consists of a silver medal designed by Birks and a framed certificate. The winner's name will also be engraved on an annual plaque and displayed in the winner's home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and to ensure you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded on the nomination form, and is for your reference only.
- Does your nominee:
- Promote and strengthens collegiality at York University?
- Consistently go above and beyond what is required of them in their position?
- Promote the values (excellence, progressive, sustainability, inclusivity, diversity, social justice and equity) and goals of York University?
If yes, then the Ronald Kent Medal is the award you're looking for!
- Is your nominee:
- A full time and permanent employee at York, who has been employed for five continuous years as of December 31, 2019?
- A non-academic staff member? (Only members of YUSA or CUPE 1356 are eligible)
If yes, then the person you've got in mind is eligible for nomination!
Nomination File Requirements
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages)
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description of the nominee's current position
- A minimum of 3 letters total (1 nomination letter and min. 2 letters of support)
- A maximum of 4 letters (1 nomination letter and max. 3 letters of support)
- Each letter of support must not exceed a total of 3 pages
- One of the letters of support, OR the nomination letter must be from the nominee's current Manager
- The chief nominator and one supporting nominator, OR at least 2 of the supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The total number of pages of ALL letters combined does not exceed 12 pages
- Using quantitative and or/qualitative examples, describe how the nominee contributes to the goals/objectives, to the office/division and/or the broad York Community
- Please illustrate with examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds each of the criteria for the award.
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author. Multiple authors on a letter are not permitted.
- Please do not include any references or confidential documents such as employee performance ratings or evaluations
- Please do not use acronyms in the letter.
- Self-nominations are not permitted.
Excellence is everywhere at York! We urge you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
Nominations can be submitted using our online application until January 20, 2020 at 4:30 PM EST.
- Chief Nominator Form
(Firefox, Chrome or Safari Only)
Please note that extensions for submission cannot be considered.
The Ronald Kent Medal Selection Committee consists of six members, and is chaired by President Emeritus H. Ian Macdonald. Committee members are appointed by the President, and serve for three years.
Members of the Selection Committee may not initiate nominations or write a supporting letter for the Ronald Kent Medal. If a member of the Selection Committee is nominated for the award, they shall resign from the committee.