Established in honour of former Vice-President Enrollment and Student Services Deborah Hobson, the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award is awarded to an individual who emulates Vice-President Hobson’s energetic commitment to York students and boundless enthusiasm for the York community. Nominees for this award embody the York spirit, and use their creativity and imagination in support of the student community at York.
The award consists of a $500 purse, generously funded by the Division of the Vice-President and a framed paper sculpture engraved with the winner’s name. The winner’s name will also be engraved on an annual plaque, displayed in the winner’s home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and to ensure you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded on the nomination form, and is for your reference only.
- Does your nominee:
- Constantly and continuously demonstrate a high-level of service to students either directly, or through support to others with responsibility to student service areas?
- Demonstrate the York spirit in terms of imagination, creativity, innovation and redefining the possible in service to York’s student community?
- Have recognition on campus as a strong team leader and facilitator for others?
If yes, then the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award is the award you’re looking for!
- Is your nominee:
- A full time, permanent staff member at York that has been continuously employed for 2 continuous years as of December 31, 2019?
- A non-academic full-time staff member? (YUSA, CPM, CUPE 1356, IOUE)?
If yes, then the person you've got in mind is eligible for nomination!
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages)
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description of the nominee's current position
- A minimum of 3 letters total (1 nomination letter and min. 2 letters of support)
- A maximum of 4 letters (1 nomination letter and max. 3 letters of support)
- Each letter of support must not exceed a total of three (3) pages
- One of the letters of support, OR the nomination letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager
- One of the letters of support, OR the nomination letter must be from a current or past York University student
- The chief nominator and one supporting nominator, OR at least 2 of the supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The total number of pages of ALL letters combined does not exceed 12 pages
- Using quantitative and or/qualitative examples, describe how the nominee contributes to the goals/objectives, to the office/division and/or the broad York Community
- Please illustrate with examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds each of the criteria for the award.
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author. Multiple authors on a letter are not permitted.
- Please do not include any references or confidential documents such as employee performance ratings or evaluations.
- Please do not use acronyms in the letter.
- Self-nominations are not permitted.
Excellence is everywhere at York! We urge you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
Nominations can be submitted using our online application until January 20, 2020 at 4:30 PM EST.
- Chief Nominator Form
(Firefox, Chrome or Safari Only)
Please note that extensions for submission cannot be considered.
The Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award Selection Committee consists of six members, and is chaired by Neville McGuire, Chief of Staff, Office of the President. Committee members are appointed by the President, and serve for up to three years.
Members of the Selection Committee may not initiate nominations or write a supporting letter for the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award. If a member of the Selection Committee is nominated for the award, they shall resign from the committee.