Established in honour of former University Secretary and General Counsel Harriet Lewis, the Harriet Lewis Team Award for Service Excellence recognizes excellence in service and support to students, faculty, staff and/or other service users. One award will be given annually.
The award consists of a $2000 purse to be used for professional development for all members of the team, generously funded by the Office of the President and a framed certificate for each member of the team. In addition, the winning team will be eligible for an additional purse for professional development. This additional purse has been generously funded by a donor and will be made available to the winning team who receives this award between 2016-2021. The 2017 purse will be $1000. The team's name will also be engraved on an annual plaque and displayed in the team's home department or in the department responsible for team project, for one year.
- Do your nominees:
- Demonstrate the provision of the highest level of service excellence to students/faculty/staff and/or other service users that exceeds what is normally expected in their position?
- Promote a work environment that is respectful, supportive, collegial and inclusive?
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with other teams/unit by encouraging openness in sharing ideas, responsibility and finding appropriate solutions to challenges?
- Promote the York spirit in terms of imagination, creativity, innovation and redefining the possible in service to York's community (internal or external)?
If yes, then the The Harriet Lewis Team Award for Service Excellence is the award you’re looking for!
- Are at least 75% of the team members are full -time, continuing staff member at York that have been continuously employed for at least 2 years as of December 31, 2017?
- Members of a non-academic (CUPE 1356, CPM, YUSA or IOUE) staff group
- A team is considered a minimum of three staff members and a maximum of twenty-five staff members.
- Team members do not need to belong to one department as teams who are working on a time limited project are also eligible for this award.
If yes, then the team you've got in mind is eligible for nomination!
Nomination File Requirements
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages in length)
- A minimum of 2 supporting nominators must be people who have received service from the entire team, not individuals
Nominations & supporting letter requirements:
- There is a maximum of 4 supporting letters in total
- One letter must be from the team’s current director/supervisor/manager/sponsor
- The nomination package of letters shall not exceed 15 pages
- Please illustrate with examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds the criteria for the award.
- Please provide statistics/results in the nominations letters.
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author. Multiple authors on a letter are not permitted.
- Please do not include any references or confidential documents such as employee performance ratings or evaluations.
- Please do not use acronyms in the letter.
- A completed "Team members list" - If the team consists of more than 6 people, please download this file and be ready to upload to the online form.
Excellence is everywhere at York! We urge you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
Nominations can be submitted using our online application or by mail until December 14, 2017 at 4:30 PM EST to:
Office of the President
President's Staff Recognition Awards
1050 Kaneff Tower
Please note that extensions for submission cannot be considered.
The Harriet Lewis Team Award for Service Excellence Committee consists of six members, and is chaired by Ijade Maxwell Rodrigues, Chief of Staff, Office of the President. Committee members are appointed by the President, and serve for up to 3 years.
Members of the Selection Committee may not initiate nominations or write a supporting letter for the Harriet Lewis Team Award for Service Excellence. If a member of the Selection Committee is nominated for the award, they shall resign from the committee