The most important voice of York is the one who makes the first contact with a visitor or community member. The quality of responsiveness and the genuine desire to assist in the most difficult or sensitive situations is essential to York’s reputation. Nominees for the President’s Voice of York Award are employed as front line staff and who have regular interaction with the York community. This award was established in 1999 by President Emerita Lorna R. Marsden.
The award consists of a $500 purse and a framed certificate. The winner’s name will also be engraved on an annual plaque and displayed in the winner’s home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and to ensure you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded on the nomination form, and is for your reference only.
Does your nominee:
- Go beyond the call of duty in the capacity of their position to provide assistance to the community in a manner that exemplifies York’s values?
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and is viewed by others as an Ambassador for York?
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills?
- Possess extensive knowledge of York University?
- In a front-line capacity, regularly deal with difficult situations effectively, professionally and with compassion?
If yes, then the Voice of York Award is the award you’re looking for!
- Is your nominee:
- A permanent staff member working 25 hours or more in a week at York that has been continuously employed for 2 years as of December 31, 2018?
If yes, then the person you've got in mind is eligible for nomination!
Nomination File Requirements
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (3 pages maximum)
- A minimum of 2 supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description of the nominees current position
Nomination & Supporting Letter Requirements:
- A minimum of 2 supporting letters with a maximum of 5 supporting letters in total (total # pages of all letters must not exceed 15 pages)
- One letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager
- One letter must be from the nominee’s current direct supervisor/manager
- Please illustrate with examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds the criteria for the award.
- Please provide statistics/results in the nominations letters (if applicable).
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author. Multiple authors on a letter are not permitted.
- Please do not include any references or confidential documents such as employee performance ratings or evaluations.
- Please do not use acronyms in the letter.
- Self-nominations are not permitted.
Excellence is everywhere at York! We urge you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
Nominations can be submitted using our online application or by mail until January 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM EST to:
- Chief Nominator Form
(Firefox, Chrome or Safari Only)
Office of the President
President's Staff Recognition Awards
1050 Kaneff Tower
Please note that extensions for submission cannot be considered.
The President’s Voice of York Award Selection Committee consists of six members, and is chaired by Ijade Maxwell Rodrigues, Chief of Staff and Director of Government Relations, Office of the President. Committee members are appointed by the President, and serve for three years.
Members of the Selection Committee may not initiate nominations or write a supporting letter for the President’s Voice of York Award. If a member of the Selection Committee is nominated for the award, they shall resign from the committee.