Established in honour of former Vice President Finance and Administration Gary Brewer, the award recognizes and encourages early-career professionals who have demonstrated significant promise of leadership in their career. The Award recognizes a staff member who has shown tremendous promise for assuming a leadership role at the University, is known for their innovative and meaningful contributions to the effectiveness of their unit and has significantly contributed to the University’s commitment to excellence.
The award consists of a $400 purse to be used for professional development and a framed certificate. The winner’s name will also be engraved on an annual plaque and displayed in the winner’s home department for one year.
Nomination Package Checklist
Please feel free to download this checklist to help you compile the nomination file and to ensure you have met all of the requirements before completing the online nomination form. NOTE: This checklist does not need to be uploaded on the nomination form, and is for your reference only.
Does your nominee:
- Consistently demonstrate outstanding effective leadership skills (see below), both within and beyond the scope of their responsibilities;
- High integrity and honesty
- Strong technical knowledge and skills
- Communicates well and handles problems/conflict effectively
- Respect of staff and colleagues
- High service orientation
- Results focused
- Appreciation for differing views, equity and diversity
- Collaborative and team oriented
- Contributes actively to success of staff and coworkers through sharing information, knowledge and highlighting participation and contributions of other
- Demonstrates adaptability
- Positive impact in motivating others
- Demonstrate that they are an innovative thinker?
- Motivate and inspire their peers and demonstrate dedication to the University?
- Successfully contribute to the University’s commitment to excellence?
- Demonstrate that they are self-aware, focused on learning and professional growth?
- Demonstrated leadership potential for assuming a leadership role at the University?
If yes, then the Gary Brewer Emerging Leader Award is the award you’re looking for!
Is your nominee:
- A full time staff member with a minimum of two years of service at York University and less than seven years of full-time work experience as of December 31, 2018?
- In a position that is at a level which is below a Director?
- A non-academic full-time permanent staff member? (YUSA, CPM, CUPE 1356, IOUE, OPSEU 2)
If yes, then the person you've got in mind is eligible for nomination!
Nomination File Requirements
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (3 pages maximum)
- One letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description of the nominee's current position
- A minimum of 3 letters total (1 nomination letter and min. 2 letters of support)
- A maximum of 5 letters (1 nomination letter and max. 4 letters of support)
- A minimum of 2 supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- One letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager.
- The total number of pages of ALL letters combined does not exceed 15 pages
- Please illustrate with examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds each of the criteria for the award.
- Please provide statistics/results in the nominations letters.
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author. Multiple authors on a letter are not permitted.
- Please do not include any references or confidential documents such as employee performance ratings or evaluations.
- Please do not use acronyms in the letter.
- Self-nominations are not permitted.
Excellence is everywhere at York! We urge you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
Nominations can be submitted using our online application or by mail until January 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM EST to:
- Chief Nominator Form
(Firefox, Chrome or Safari Only)
Office of the President
President's Staff Recognition Awards
1050 Kaneff Tower
Please note that extensions for submission cannot be considered.
The Gary Brewer Emerging Leader Award Selection Committee consists of six members, and is chaired by Neville McGuire, Chief of Staff, Office of the President. Committee members are appointed by the President, and serve for three years.
Members of the Selection Committee may not initiate nominations or write a supporting letter for the Gary Brewer Emerging Leader Award. If a member of the Selection Committee is nominated for the award, they shall resign from the committee.