Established in honour of former Vice-President Enrolment and Student Services Deborah Hobson, the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award is awarded to an individual who emulates Vice-President Hobson’s energetic commitment to York students and boundless enthusiasm for the York community. Nominees for this award embody the York spirit, and use their creativity and imagination in support of the student community at York.
The award consists of a $500 purse, generously funded by the Division of the Vice-President and a framed paper sculpture engraved with the winner’s name. The winner’s name will also be engraved on an annual plaque, displayed in the winner’s home department for one year.
- Does your nominee:
- Continuously demonstrate a high-level of service to student either directly, or through support to others with direct responsibility to student service areas?
- Embody the York spirit in terms of imagination, creativity, innovation and redefining the possible in service to York’s student community?
- Enjoy recognition on campus as a strong team leader and facilitator for others?
If yes, then the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award is the award you’re looking for!
- Is your nominee:
- A full time, permanent staff member at York that has been continuously employed for 2 continuous years as of December 31, 2017?
- A non-academic full-time staff member? (YUSA, CPM, CUPE 1356, IOUE)?
If yes, then the person you've got in mind is eligible for nomination!
The Chief Nominator is responsible for putting together a nomination file that consists of:
- A nomination letter (maximum of 3 pages in length)
- A minimum of 2 supporting nominators must be from outside of the nominee's home department
- The nominee's C.V. or work history at York University
- The job description of the nominee's current position
Nomination & Supporting Letter requirements:
- A minimum of 2 supporting letters with a maximum of 5 supporting letters in total (total # pages of all letters must not exceed 15 pages)
- One letter must be from the nominee’s current Manager
- Please illustrate with examples of how the nominee meets or exceeds each of the criteria for the award.
- Please provide statistics/results in the nominations letters.
- Quotations from other persons are not permitted and letters can only have one author. Multiple authors on a letter are not permitted.
- Please do not include any references or confidential documents such as employee performance ratings or evaluations.
- Please do not use acronyms in the letter.
Excellence is everywhere at York! We urge you to consider nominating someone from outside your home department.
Nominations can be submitted using our online application or by mail until December 14, 2017 at 4:30 PM EST to:
- Chief Nominator Form
(Firefox, Chrome or Safari Only)
Office of the President
President's Staff Recognition Awards
1050 Kaneff Tower
Please note that extensions for submission cannot be considered.
The Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award Selection Committee consists of six members, and is chaired by Ijade Maxwell Rodrigues, Chief of Staff and Director of Government Relations, Office of the President. Committee members are appointed by the President, and serve for up to three years.
Members of the Selection Committee may not initiate nominations or write a supporting letter for the Deborah Hobson York Citizenship Award. If a member of the Selection Committee is nominated for the award, they shall resign from the committee.